Environmental Health & Safety Specialist - Waterloo, ON
RIM - Specialist-Environment Health & Safety - Permanent Opportunity - Waterloo, ON.
Visit the RIM website at www.rim.com/careers and apply directly to job number 1201918.
Research In Motion Limited® (RIM)® is a world leader in the mobile communications market and has a history of developing breakthrough wireless solutions. RIM's portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies is used by thousands of organizations around the world and includes the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools and software/hardware licensing agreements. RIM is seeking driven individuals who can take our wireless data products to the next level in the global wireless market. Are you ready to make a difference in the world of mobile communications with RIM?
The Specialist-Environment Health & Safety, provides support for all initiatives from proactive health to safety development, implementation and training on key functions such as risk assessment, inspection, investigation and auditing. The Specialist applies full working knowledge and understanding of professional concepts and techniques to resolve a wide range of issues. The Specialist is a resource for local customization, promotion, implementation, evaluation and communication of all environment, health & safety initiatives.
The successful candidate's responsibilities include:
• The delivery, development, and implementation of environment, health & safety (EHS) programs for Manufacturing sites on Waterloo campus including maintaining the website, delivery and organization of featured workshops, promotion and champion of environment, health, safety & wellness activities, in conjunction with Global support
• Ongoing assessment and recommendations for program changes and enhancements in response to changing environment, business/employee needs, expectations, objectives
• Assisting in formulating end results on important/difficult technical/functional issues
• Acting as a specialist resource to managers and employees by providing technical expertise and advice
• Supporting design implementation and evaluating manufacturing processes, materials and equipment for EHS compliance and appropriate control and compliance measures.
• Co-ordinating or performing Industrial Hygiene investigations, assessments, control programs and activities (e.g. IAQ, radiation safety, designated substances, noise, chemicals, etc)
• Advisor on appropriate risk control measures (e.g. engineering, administrative, PPE)
• Implementing and maintaining Corporate and Manufacturing Health and Safety programs
• Customizing and implementing manufacturing health and safety policies and procedures
• Supporting activities associated with ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
• Coordinating and maintaining elements of the Emergency Preparedness and Response program
• Interacting with various departments and responding to incidents, concerns and emergencies
• Supporting, monitoring and coaching Joint Health & Safety Committees, managers and employees to ensure effective Internal Responsibility System for EHS.
• Establishing and providing EHS training / instruction, to meet business and compliance needs
• Supporting effective health management practices including the return to work process
• Monitoring relevant regulatory developments, identifying gaps and implementing corrective actions to ensure regulatory compliance.
• Working closely with the Team Lead, Manufacturing EHS and other EHS groups to provide cross coverage and superb customer service to the business
• Conducting periodic audits to monitor and determine improvements for EHS compliance
• Liaising with internal and external organizations (e.g. MOL, MOE, WSIB etc)
• Maintaining organized EHS records for effective EHS service delivery and compliance
• 24/7 on call component required
Note: In addition to these duties and responsibilities, other related duties as may be reasonably required.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• University Degree in Health Sciences or Occupational Health & Safety or related discipline
• Excellent computer, communication and interpersonal skills
• Essential multitasking, and exceptional time management skills
• Experience in multiple site, various culture environment
• 5-6 years Health & Safety experience
• Ability to travel approx 5 % to other campus and Ontario locations
• ROH, ROHT or CRSP designation
• Experience in a manufacturing setting
If you're driven to take wireless technologies to the next level, it's time you join the team at RIM. We offer a challenging environment that fosters creativity and rewards excellence. Employees also have use of our award winning BlackBerry!
© 2012 Research In Motion Limited. All Rights Reserved. The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, BlackBerry, "Always On, Always Connected" and the "envelope in motion" symbol are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries.
Tags for this Thread