PDA

View Full Version : Refuse transportation to medical facility

Amandah
12-11-2008, 09:46 AM
We have a First Aid Transportation policy which states that our company will ensure that an injured employee gets transported to the appropriate medical facility. I want to create a form that employees will be required to sign if they refuse to go to a medical facility.

Does anyone have anything like this?

Owen
12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
We have similar in our policy. If they refuse, first aiders are instructed to still call paramedics and let them get the written refusal. They are also better trained to deal with refusals and may in fact be able to pursuade the person to go with them.

Amandah
12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
So, who is responsible for paying for the ambulance that was refused?

Denise Howitt
12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
I would not let them refuse. Let me tell you why...

There was a case a number of years ago that I heard about where a woman was injured at work. She was struck in the side of the neck with a robotic arm. Initially she felt fine. Then, a short time later, she felt unwell and asked to go home. She was driving along a major highway inside city limits. When she turned her head to shoulder check she felt something strange happening to her. She was able to safely pull over to the side of the road.

1 1/2 days later a gentleman stopped to check on her, he had seen her vehicle on his way home from work the evening before and again on his way to work. When he saw the same vehicle, in the same spot for the third time, he stopped. The woman advised that she could not move.

What had happened was that she had sustained a fracture in her cervical spine. The funny feeling when she shoulder checked was the bone fragment entering her spinal cord and the beginning of paralysis.

Had she been taken to emergency she would likely have been fine. Instead she is a quadriplegic.

KristaR
12-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I am with Owen. I have found that it is harder for a person to refuse a paramedic then your first aid person. Also if, the persons condition may worsen, it's better if the ambulance is on the way.

As far as who pays, I would think that the company would still be responsible. It shows diligence in providing the best care for the worker.

Krista R

mberube
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
It should not be an option and considered a condition of employment. It is my understanding that refusals or "waivers" will not hold up in a courtroom if something was to come of the injury.

Simon K
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I dealt with this when I was in manufacturing 2 years ago, we had an employee refuse medical treatment, we continued to call for EMS and have them deal with them directly, they ended up going with the ambulance. and being provided restrictions for 2 weeks. who knows what would have happened had they gone home could have been a similar instance of the robotic arm (listed above), very scary.

Tdmorenz
12-18-2008, 10:17 AM
A mentally competent person cannot be forced to go to hospital or receive treatment they do not want, in most cases. The answer that I have found to work best is to call the EMS for the situation and allow them to do their job. They assess the situation and potential. They have a spot on the form for the person to sign if they still want to refuse. The police can get involved, as well, to help convince the person to seek further aid. They may have fears, like what about their car, etc. If they are going to do something dangerous, like drive themselves home, that would involve a new set of circumstances. Taxi or co-workers driving them might be another option. Generally, if the ambulance is refused, I do not believe there is a charge for that, it may depend where you are located in the province.

Russel
12-31-2008, 06:59 AM
In my years in Health & Safety, I have seen several cases were the employee has refused ambulance service. As the employer, we have a responsibilty to the employee so I would be calling EMS regardless (as mentioned in previous postings, they are trained to better deal with refusals as we are). I have found that one of the main reasons people will refuse the EMS is they think they will be charged. I always stress when an ambulance is needed that we cover all expenses. I also try to stress that we will contact family and once they know that they will usually agree.
A lot of times the employee is just scared and wants to be with someone and not alone. Until family is able to get there, the employer should allow another employee to go with them.

Tdmorenz
01-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Very good suggestions for a solution to help solve the situation. All receipts should be kept for potential re-imbursement. A WSIB claim - another bunch of things to run through. Filling out the employer's Form 7 and worker's Form 6, discussing return to work ideas helps ease their minds about off work time. Disruption of work and life, like being a bother can be stressors too!